The two-day International Congress on “Interventions in Type-2 Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders” witnessed lectures, presentations, workshops, debates, and deliberations by national and international experts of obesity and metabolic syndrome. The congress was held on September 21-22, 2019, in Bhopal, M.P, and attended by more than 500 healthcare professionals, researchers, medical students, and practitioners.
The event was inaugurated by Principal Secretary Health – Mr. Shiv Shekhar Shukla. The set of prominent people invited for presentation includes IAS Nishant Varwade; Director Medical Education, Dr. Ulka Shrivastava; and Dr. Aruna Kumar; Dean, Gandhi Medical College. The generous support of course directors, patrons and core committee have made the event fruitful and productive.
- Dr. Sachin Chittawar
- Dr. Mohit Bhandari
- Dr. N.P. Mishra
- Dr. S.S. Yesikar
- Dr. H.H. Trivedi
- Dr. Prof T N Dubey
- Dr. Prof K Kawre
- Dr. Prof. VK Bharadwaj
- Dr. Subodh Banjal
- Dr. Prof Simmi Dubey
- Dr. Pranay Dhurvey
- Dr. Sushil Jindal
- Dr. Ajay Gupta
- Dr. Ashish Dhingra
- Dr.RS Jagat
- Dr. R S Maniram
- Dr. Pankaj Manoria
- Dr. Sanjiv Gulati
- Dr. Sanjay Gupta
- Dr. Shachin Gupta
- Dr. Himanshu Sharma
- Dr. Ranvir S Yadav
- Dr. RR Barde
The conference was organized upon the theme “Current investigations, treatment, and preventive strategies for diabetes and metabolic disorders”.
As quoted by Dr. Sachin Chittawar, the ultimate goal of “Diabetes & Metabolic Congress” is to understand the cutting-edge strategies to help doctors and provide the best treatment to patients with Type-2 diabetes while avoiding the related chronic complications.
The importance of managing diabetes and metabolic disorders has increased as there are many other comorbidities, leading to chronic health conditions and deaths. It is also indicated that diabetic people have an increased risk of kidney and liver diseases. According to various research studies, nearly 415 million people are affected by diabetes globally, and it is expected to increase drastically. The total number of people with diabetes has been rising over time and projected to rise to over 348 million in 2028, which will ultimately cause millions of deaths.
Thanks to all our delegates, momentous speakers, scientific committee, and all attendees of the conference who have contributed to the success of the conference. The peerless faculties from various reputed institutions have enlightened with their knowledge and confabulated many new-fangled topics related to the field of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders.
- Dr. Alexander Miras, UK
- Dr. Karl Le Roux, UK
- Dr. Ricardo Cohen, Brazil
- Dr. David Cummings, USA
- Dr. Mathias Fobi, USA/INDIA
- Dr. Lee Kaplan, USA
- Dr. John Dixon, Australia
- Dr. Nihal Thomas
- Dr. Mangesh Tiwaskar
- Dr. Sanjay Kalra
- Dr. S.V. Madhu
- Dr. Ashok K. Das
- Dr. Sanjay Agarwal
- Dr. Amit Maydeo
- Dr. Pramod Gandhi
- Dr. Banshi Sabo
- Dr. D.C. Sharma
- Dr. Sameer Aggarwal
- Dr. Shashank R. Joshi
- Dr. Shaukat Sadikot
- Dr. Nikhil Tandon
- Dr. S.K. Sharma
- Dr. Rajiv Chawla
- Dr. Yashdeep Gupta
- Dr. Bipin Sethi
- Dr. K.K. Parekh
- Dr. Rajiv Singla
- Dr. Saptrishi Bhattacharya
- Dr. Priya Bhave
The “International Congress on Interventions in Type-2 Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders” has attempted to address the issues related to both the conditions. There were numerous important sessions in the congress like diabetes, metabolic disorders, understanding and management of obesity, dietary cholesterol, metabolic surgery, bariatric surgery, pregnancy infused thyroid, neonatal endocrinology, intensive lifestyle changes versus surgery for the resolution of Type-2 diabetes, weight-loss strategies, developments and newer insights of obesity and metabolism. Furthermore, the subjects of pediatric and gyne endo were discussed separately for understanding the important topics of diabetes management in females and children.
Highlights of Congress – Type-2 Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders
The event was a great success where the eminent speakers disseminated their knowledge and addressed the gathering. The congress was made up of various sessions which included the following major scientific tasks:
DAY – 1
SESSION 1: DEBATES
- OBESITY IS AN INDICATION TO START THYROXINE IN SUBCLINICAL HYPOTHYROIDISM – FOR/ AGAINST
- DIETARY CHOLESTEROL INTAKE DOES NOT IMPACT HEART DISEASE – FOR/ AGAINST
- CLASS 1 – OBESITY: MEDICAL MANAGEMENT IS BEST SUITED INSTEAD OF SURGICAL OR ENDOSCOPIC MANAGEMENT – FOR/AGAINST
SESSION 2: FROM BASIC SCIENCE TO CLINICAL PRACTICE
- OBESITY: LESSONS FROM GENETIC DISEASES
- NEUROTRANSMITTERS AS THERAPEUTIC TARGETS FOR OBESITY: PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE
- CAN GENETIC MAKEUP ALTER THE RESULTS OF METABOLIC SURGERY -DATA AND SUPPORTING EVIDENCE
- DIABESITY: A HEN OR EGG DILEMMA
SESSION 3: TRENDS IN MANAGEMENT OF OBESITY
- METABOLIC ASSESSMENT RESEARCH STRATEGY (MARS) – EXPOSING THE REALITY OF OBESITY
- LONG TERM RESULTS OF MEDICAL INTENSIVE LIFESTYLE VERSUS SURGERY IN RESOLUTION OF TYPE-2 DIABETES
- OBESITY IS A CRISIS, YET NEW WEIGHT LOSS DRUGS ARE UNDERUSED IN INDIA
SESSION 4: NEWER INSIGHTS INTO OBESITY & METABOLISM
- ROLE OF GUT MICROBIOTA IN TREATMENT OF METABOLIC SYNDROME
- BILE ACIDS AND SALT AND ITS ROLE IN RESOLUTION OF METABOLIC SYNDROMES
- ROLE OF METABOLIC ENDOSCOPY AND NEWER METABOLIC INTERVENTION IN TREATMENT OF TYPE-2 DIABETES
SESSION 5: DIETARY APPROACHES TO TREAT OBESITY & DIABETES
- DIFFERENT DIETARY STRATEGIES FOR WEIGHT LOSS SPEED
- LOW CARBOHYDRATE DIET AND DIABETES REVERSAL
- ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS: ARE THEY METABOLICALLY SAFE
DAY – 2
SESSION 1: ORAL PAPER PRESENTATION
SESSION 2: OBESITY THERAPEUTICS
- METABOLIC EFFECTS OF INTERMITTENT FASTING: ROLE IN OBESITY MANAGEMENT
- QUICK TAKE ON THE FIVE FDA APPROVED MEDICATIONS FOR OBESITY
- WHAT FUTURE HOLDS IN DRUG THERAPIES FOR OBESITY: AN INSIGHT
SESSION 3: NEWER AVENUES IN METABOLIC SURGERY
- ROLE OF METABOLIC SURGERY IN ASIAN DIABETICS – IS LOWERING OF BMI THRESHOLD FOR METABOLIC SURGERY REALLY SUPPORTED BY EVIDENCE?
- NEWER MECHANISMS OF METABOLIC SURGERY TARGETING GUT SIGNALING – HOW IT WORKS?
SESSION 4: DIABETES & OBESITY
- METFORMIN: ROLE IN TREATMENT OF OBESITY AND INSULIN RESISTANCE
- STRATEGIES TO PREVENT WEIGHT GAIN IN DIABETES: CASE STUDIES
SESSION 5: THE WAY FORWARD CAN BARIATRIC SURGERY
- BECOME OBSOLETE IN FUTURE
SESSION 6: COMORBIDITIES IN OBESITY
- NASH: RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SCREENING, PREVENTION, AND THERAPY
- OBESITY & CANCER – IS IT REALLY A PROBLEM OR FEAR MONGERING AND CAN METABOLIC SURGERY HELP?
SESSION 7: GYNE ENDO WORKSHOP
- SHOULD BMI INFLUENCE FIRST CHOICE OF AGENT IN GDM?
SESSION 8: PEDIATRIC ENDO WORKSHOP
PRACTICE PEARLS ON DIFFICULT SITUATIONS IN DIABETES
- HOW TO MANAGE EXTREME HIGH DOSE OF INSULIN?
- PATIENTS ON INSULIN ANTAGONISTS, STEROIDS, IONOTROPES
- LABILE TYPE-1 DM
- DIABETES IN PREGNANCY
- POST-PRANDIAL HYPERGLYCEMIA – WHY SHOULD WE CARE?
- NUTRIENT MANIPULATION FOR OBESITY, MS, DIABETES
- GUT IS THE NEW ENDOCRINE ORGAN
- A RATIONAL APPROACH IN MANAGEMENT OF OSTEOPOROSIS
- CAN DIABETES HAVE A PATHOPHYSIOLOGICAL APPROACH OF TREATMENT?
BREAKTHROUGH TRIALS AND DEVELOPMENTS
- EMPAREG TO CREDENCE WHAT WE HAVE LEARNT?
- NO MORE ASPIRIN FOR PRIMARY PREVENTION
- LINK OF NVIVO METFORMIN EXPOSURE AND CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- STAMPEDE TRIAL – RECENT ANALYSIS AND DATA
- ENDO BARRIER SLEEVE AND DUODENAL MUCOSAL RESURFACING IN TREATING TYPE-2 DM
The latest developments in research, diagnosis, prevention, and management of Type-2 diabetes and metabolic diseases was well-featured in the event. The international congress enhanced theoretical and practical knowledge of attendees, and also provided the opportunity to meet and network with a wide range of national and international professionals in the field of diabetes, obesity, and metabolic disorders.